One of our friends, Dave Brooks, recently moved with his wife Gwen to Singapore to become the Asian director for the support arm of Wycliffe Bible Translators. He sent us information that shows us the importance of continuing mission work of this type.
Can you imagine being a missionary in a country where there is no Bible in the people's language? Some primitive people groups may still have no written language and thus need to have their speech transcribed and to be taught to read.
We need to pray for workers for the harvest.If you feel led, please share with others this prayer need God has put on my heart. It's a matter of eternal life.
Worldwide Bible Translation Statistics
- World population: 6.5 billion
- Languages spoken in the world: 6,912 [Ethnologue, 15th edition, 2005]
- Languages with probable need of Bible translation: 2,251 representing 193 million people
- Languages with some or all of the Bible: 2,454. Of these, 438 have an adequate Bible; 1,168 have an adequate New Testament; 848 have Scripture portions [UBS 2007] (Wycliffe has participated in work for over half of all languages receiving translated Scriptures.)
- Language-based development and translation programs known to be in progress worldwide: 1,953 (Wycliffe is involved in 1,415, representing 73% of all projects, reaching an estimated population of over 568 million people)
- New language programs begun worldwide in Bibleless language communities since October 1, 1999 (the beginning of Vision 2025): 592 (Wycliffe involved in 490 —– 83%)
Wycliffe Participation in Bible Translation
- Countries represented by the languages in which Wycliffe personnel are working: 93 (including work among people who live outside their traditional homeland)
- Translation: Over the more than 70 years of history, Wycliffe personnel have been involved in the translation of 721 New Testaments and Bibles representing over 80 million people.
- Production: In 2007, Wycliffe personnel were involved in the completion of 2 Bibles; 9 New Testaments; 6 Jesus videos; 6 Luke videos and 5 Genesis videos.
- Wycliffe supported personnel: 6,453 workers. Partners at the local, national, regional and international levels include thousands of additional people committed to Bible translation, literacy and the other language development needs of minority peoples.
- Personnel needed: Over 3,000 needs for linguist/translators, literacy specialists, trainers, project managers, computer specialists, administrators and other roles.
- Organizations that are a part of Wycliffe International: 48 member organizations, 29 recognized partner organizations.